The funeral home was opened in 1891 by John J. Cox on Church Street to serve the funeral needs of families in the New Haven tri town area. Due to the growing business, John took in a partner Frank J. Smith and as both licensed directors they managed the funeral home helping people of all creeds. Their policy was honesty and compassion first. After many years on Church Street the funeral home moved to a beautiful historic home on Chapel Street. After renovations to transform the once-private residence into a funeral home, Cox and Smith were able to offer a welcoming and friendly home to serve families for both viewings and funeral services as requested.
The business flourished and after John Cox passed away Frank Smith added another partner John D. Crimmins and the firm then became known as Cox,Smith & Crimmins for many years. Both Frank Smith & John Crimmins were very aware of the need for them to be in community service. They both were very active in many charitable organizations throughout the years and were totally dedicated to the families they were privileged to serve through funeral service. After John Crimmins passed away Joe Monahan joined the firm in 1972 as director-owner and continues today with his associate Cliff Lynch to serve families in their time or need from any location in the country.
In 1991 the funeral home moved to it's new location on Wooster Place among the beautiful seasonal cherry blossoms and is privileged to continue serving it's families from this location at this time.